Anthony Davis returned from injury to face fellow All-Star Karl-Anthony Towns as the Pelicans hosted the Timberwolves and the rival centers enjoyed big scoring nights.
Davis was booed during his pregame introduction and whenever he touched the ball during his first appearance since asking for a trade and recovering from a finger injury, but he didn't let that reception affect him, pouring in 32 points on 11-of-15 shooting, hitting 10 of his 11 free throws and grabbing nine rebounds.
He made an impact on the defensive end too, producing a massive rejection as Taj Gibson attempted to lay the ball in close to the Pelicans hoop.
Towns matched Davis' 32-point haul on 12-of-20 shooting, including 4-of-5 from three-point range, and posted eight rebounds, two blocks and three assists.
Davis sat out the final 15-plus minutes of a close game, but there was no indication of a health issue as he stayed on the bench.
Meanwhile, Towns did everything he could to drag the T-Wolves to a win, scoring seven points late in the fourth quarter to bring his team within two.
Friday night's scores
- Golden State Warriors 117-107 Phoenix Suns
- Minnesota Timberwolves 117-122 New Orleans Pelicans
- Milwaukee Bucks 122-107 Dallas Mavericks
- New York Knicks 103-120 Detroit Pistons
- Denver Nuggets 110-117 Philadelphia 76ers
- Miami Heat 96-102 Sacramento Kings
- Cleveland Cavaliers 106-119 Washington Wizards
- Chicago Bulls 125-106 Brooklyn Nets
However, clutch plays by Pelicans forward Julius Randle in the final minute earned the Pelicans a narrow 122-117 victory.
Click the video at the top of the page to watch Davis and Towns best plays from their 32-point performances.